Simio Forum

Modelling of Resources with Simio

Hi. I want to know if Simio with Intelligent Objects can resolve some problems concerned with the modelling of resources. For instance, the typical simulation tools assumes that resources are 100% dedicated to one process or activity but in reality people work in multiple business processes. With Simio I can model one resource that is 20% of its time available to one business process?

Yes you can. For example, a resource could record how much of its time has been spent on each process and de-prioritize a specific process or even choose to stay idle (waiting for another priority process) rather than apply too much time to a particular process.

• 4 months later...

I have another question regarding this subject. In real world, often people prefer to let work-items related to the same task accumulate, and then process all of these in one batch. Consider a straightforward model with a source, one server and a sink. Imagine i have 2 entities each representing some document (document A and document B). It´s possible to configure the server in order to accumulate documents of type B and at some time processing them in one batch or forward to another server?

I don't have a copy of simio on me, but look at the combiner and its batch size property (probably a simbit for this). You would need to use addon logic to handle entity type decision and the timings.

I would consider making something from scratch. What simio license do you have? Academic, team, enterprise? There is no point in me making an example if our licenses conflict. ;(

Hello jdoran, thank you for your reply. Actually im asking these questions because im trying (and intend to) under my Master thesis to build many SimBits in order to approach and solve many aspects of human behavior in business processes or workflows, which often are neglected for business process simulation.

I have an Academic Licence, so i can create add-on processes.

Hello again. I am able to open your model but i can´t run it. However, i see that you are using a combiner object but im asking if its possible to a server object acummulate itself the entities. And if i have more than 2 types of entities to batch? Imagine i have 4 types, one container can perform 4 batches and process them?

You would vary the logic I have in the add-on processes. I would abstract out the whole model, and make an object out of it that you could use instead of a server.

When you are happy that the logic is generic enough, you could just plonk the sub-model as many times as you want.

You would vary the logic I have in the add-on processes. I would abstract out the whole model, and make an object out of it that you could use instead of a server.

When you are happy that the logic is generic enough, you could just plonk the sub-model as many times as you want.

Ok good idea. I think i will get it creating a new object from scratch. Thank you :)

Actually im asking these questions because im trying (and intend to) under my Master thesis to build many SimBits in order to approach and solve many aspects of human behavior in business processes or workflows, which often are neglected for business process simulation.

I'd be very interested in the results to possibly share with other business schools/business users. Maybe we could even include them in Simio itself for the benefit of everyone (with credit to you, of course :) ).

Actually im asking these questions because im trying (and intend to) under my Master thesis to build many SimBits in order to approach and solve many aspects of human behavior in business processes or workflows, which often are neglected for business process simulation.

I'd be very interested in the results to possibly share with other business schools/business users. Maybe we could even include them in Simio itself for the benefit of everyone (with credit to you, of course :) ).

No problem David. Maybe during my work you can give your suggestions on the SimBits :)