Dictating Starting Conditions

bmarlin

I am working on a rather large model, and the starting conditions are rather important. I would like to establish exact start conditions prior to each excursion. For example, if I have 100 servers, I would like a certain number and type of entity in each server once I begin the run. Is it possible to establish this starting condition in some way? I cannot run my way to this condition due to both changes caused by random number generation and the unexplainable complexities that brought us to the current conditions.

Simple approach:

Take advantage of the fact that each model has an OnRunInitialized process that is called at the start of each run.

--Create a table that contains all your initialization data. This might optionally be bound to an external file and automatically read if it changes frequently.

--Define the OnRunInitialized process to search that table, create the entity(s), initialize the entity, and transfer it to the correct location.

Look at the Simio Example (not SimBit) named RPsixample for an example of this approach applied to a simple scheduling model.

More comprehensive approach:

Take advantage of the fact that each object has an On Initialized add-in process that is called at the start of each run.

--Create a table that contains all your initialization data identified by object instance. This might optionally be bound to an external file and automatically read if it changes frequently.

--Define the On Initialized process to search that table for a matching object instance, create the entity(s), initialize the entity, and transfer it to the correct location. This can also set object characteristics as well, such as status, capacity, failure data, learning curve, …

While this could be used by simply specifying the add-on process in each object instance, it is even more powerful if you create a custom object that includes a custom object-specific initialization process.

I am working on a rather large model, and the starting conditions are rather important. I would like to establish exact start conditions prior to each excursion. For example, if I have 100 servers, I would like a certain number and type of entity in each server once I begin the run. Is it possible to establish this starting condition in some way? I cannot run my way to this condition due to both changes caused by random number generation and the unexplainable complexities that brought us to the current conditions.

Slightly off topic, but I have never seen a model with a dynamic number of servers. Are you spawning servers on initialisation? And if so, should I assume you are using freespace?

I make frequent use of dynamic entities and vehicles in freespace, but have never had much luck in terms of servers etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but I have never seen a model with a dynamic number of servers. Are you spawning servers on initialisation? And if so, should I assume you are using freespace?

I make frequent use of dynamic entities and vehicles in freespace, but have never had much luck in terms of servers etc.

I am sorry if I was ambiguous, I am not changing the number of servers, rather the number of entities within the servers at the starting time. I am not working in freespace.