[CLOSED] Sharepoint Integration

jdoran

Guest DanSpice

If you have a model that will generate results, you can certainly just put it up there and have various people work on it. However, you would need some sort of exclusive lock mechanism, like an email telling the rest of the group that you are currently working on the model - because we do not provide merge capability between model revisions. I'm not sure if Sharepoint has this sort of notification system though.

If you want to collaborate on a library of objects, then I would recommend some source control system (like svn). If you decide to use source control, I would suggest saving in the .simproj format, since this will give you the raw xml file and the data files which make it deasy to revision and see changes made in source control.

Thanks

If you have a model that will generate results, you can certainly just put it up there and have various people work on it. However, you would need some sort of exclusive lock mechanism, like an email telling the rest of the group that you are currently working on the model - because we do not provide merge capability between model revisions. I'm not sure if Sharepoint has this sort of notification system though.

If you want to collaborate on a library of objects, then I would recommend some source control system (like svn). If you decide to use source control, I would suggest saving in the .simproj format, since this will give you the raw xml file and the data files which make it deasy to revision and see changes made in source control.

Thanks

From what I have seen of it so far, share point is kind of like a wiki, and has some file versioning capabilities too.

Thanks for your answer, I will keep u posted on what we eventually do.

Just a word of warning using .simproj (or .xml) files with SVN: if there is a conflict you cannot use the merge capabilities of SVN because the Simio hash will no longer match. Simio will not open the "resolved" file. This limits the usefulness of version control particularly in an environment with multiple developers (or, in my case, an inexperienced SVN user :) )

Perhaps another reason to allow licensed users the ability to edit/load xml files?

Thanks,

Adam

Just a word of warning using .simproj (or .xml) files with SVN: if there is a conflict you cannot use the merge capabilities of SVN because the Simio hash will no longer match. Simio will not open the "resolved" file. This limits the usefulness of version control particularly in an environment with multiple developers (or, in my case, an inexperienced SVN user :) )

Perhaps another reason to allow licensed users the ability to edit/load xml files?

Thanks,

Adam

Yeah that is a good point. We were aware of it, and somewhat frustrated by it.

What we were after though is a better way of illustrating the Simio models we make to non-simio users. Hopefully in the form of structural diagrams, or even at a very basic level,: videos, pictures, and flow charts.

As there doesn't appear to be a good way of doing this, we are writing our own parsing app to do this.