[OPEN] Interrupting sub-model for offshift

jdoran

This is something I have been meaning to implement for a while, and now have finally decided it needs to be done.

I have a submodel, and due to the limitations of the software can't transfer it into the submodel and keep the model clean. I followed advice posted here, and have made the submodel seize the worker and send it to a node in the higher level model... while the submodel is in progress.

Is there a nice efficient way to have the worker/vehicle (vehicles are the new worker in terms of having all the functionality i require) able to interrupt the submodel and either remember where it was up to and return after break... or allow another seize request for a different worker, and have that worker continue where it was left off?

Guest DanSpice

Hi,

I have made an example model illustrating how to do what you are asking.

In the attached model, I have 1 entity that requires a 40 hour delay & a Secondary resource for processing. I have a Day Shift worker and a Night Shift worker, each work 12 hour shifts, and the Entity seizes whichever is availabe from a list upon entering the Server.

By default, if a secondary resource is seized, the worker will attempt to finish the current job before going off-shift. This is nice if there is something like 15 or 20 minutes left on a job, but not ideal if there is 28 hours left...

What I did was created a process that gets Triggered by the Workers' OffShift Add-On process that Interrupts Processing > Releases the Worker > and Transfers the Entity back into the Server Object - which will then start the whole processing process all over again and seize whatever worker is available.

Note that in the Interrupt Step, I set the Interupted Process Action to Resume Delay, and the Save Remaining Process Time property to Record ths remaining processing time to the ModelEntity.ProcessTime State (which is initially assigned to 40 in the Source and then gets updated upon every interrupt)

For more examples of Interrupting processes see the SimBits: InterruptibleOperator, InterruptingAcrossMultipleServers, & InterruptingServerWithMultipleCapacity

Thanks

InterruptingProcessingToSwitchWorkers.spfx

• 8 years later...

Hi,

jdoran I have the same problematic as you. I looked at the model presented by DanSpice but my problem is that the Server seizing my Worker is located in a submodel.

Did you manage to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Maude