Server Capacity Depends on # of Seized Resources

nObeso23

I am working on a model of a production line where one of the work stations is a long work table with six workers at it. These workers perform identical assembly tasks and will sometimes leave the table in order to transport finished items to the next step in production. I am currently representing the work table as a single server. I am wondering if it is possible to dynamically change the server's capacity based on how many workers it is able to seize at a given time. Essentially, the server can process with just one seized worker but can seize up to six. Is this something I can implement with Simio's built in functionality, or is it easier just to represent the six spots in the table as individual servers?

Thank you!

Hi Nicolas, 

I would investigate the Server property called Initial Capacity. This sets how many units of capacity are going to be available for the Server. You could also change this during the run by Assigning the Server's CurrentCapacity State Variable. 

I suggest checking out the SimBit titled "Worker Uses Work Schedule". You can access the SimBits in the Support ribbon in Simio. In this SimBit, I recommend changing the Initial Capacity for the Servers. You could set them to '6' or any value. When you run, you will see that the entities only move into the Process Station when they have successfully Seized the Secondary Resource. So even though there is 6 units available only 1 will be use when the Worker is able to process the entity. You can also experiment with giving the Worker a different Initial Number In System value so there can be more Workers. You will still see the same behavior; the number of entities that move into the Server for processing will be the number of Workers that were available to be seized. 

Happy Modeling!

Liz