Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum! Experience the full experience of the forum by becoming a Simio Insider! You must be an Insider to post on any forum!

Click_Here_button.png

MSteeleJ

Separators

Is there no answer to this?

The Separators object does not include a Member Output Buffer Capacity. Is there an explanation, or is this an oversight?

Guest DanSpice

After we un-batch the entities, we need a station location to be able to immediately place them in the Separator. The entities are going to get immediately unbatched (or the copies created) no matter what and would be in free space inside the Separator, so trying to block entities going into the Member Output Buffer from free-space is somewhat pointless because it wouldn’t affect the flow through the Separator at all anyways. So basically, there is no capacity limit on the Member Output Buffer because we can’t really ‘block’ an unbatching operation anyways.

The parent is not the same situation, because it can sit in the Processing station of the Separator, so if it is blocked going into the Parent Output Buffer that is fine and that can actually affect flow of processing through the Separator….while the member buffer cannot.

On this topic,

I have an issue with not being able to limit the amount of entities in the Member Output Node: As soon as the Parent Entity is released my Separator becomes "available" for the next input, without all member entities having transferred unto my output link. This causes a major buildup in my Member Output Node, and I really need to limit it to a certain number in order to block the previous object from releasing another entity to make copies (or unbatch). I have tried numerous options but since I am quite novice I don't seem to find a solution.

Please Assist.

You can use a Monitor and an Add-on Process to prevent entities from entering the separator until the Member Outputbuffer is below a given amount, as shown in the attached model.

Sample_Separator.spfx