Entity WIP Collection

jrobinson

Hi All,

In examining a medical system, we have a requirement to log snapshots of the patient details being processed at specific points in time during experiment replications.  For each server, we would like to know the state values for entities currently in processing in each functional area ( a mix of servers and storage queues).  I suppose I am looking for an "Easy Button" which would quickly capture a Work In Process snapshot of the system.  Are there any thoughts on accomplishing something like this?  Any kind comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Gocken,

Thank you for your kind and quick response!  I really like this use of a button!  Unfortunately, I was not clear enough.  As entities move through the system they carry quite a lot of state information.  Our desire is at end or replication or an arbitrary time like a button click which a neat idea, to take an inventory of all the entities AND their states.  This would mean capturing all the entities in each processing queue and through a write step.   writing them out, either to an output table or a CSV.  This operation is a bit complex.  It does not seem one can search a processing queue to sequentially write out its members properties.  I believe it is possible to maintain the residence of servers by maintaining that in a special output table which is tedious to maintain and set up.  

I greatly appreciate your response!

Best Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, 

May be there are many possible ways to follow to get the information you want. But, I suggest  you to use a search step for searching a server's (or any other object's) processing queue to get such information. You can search not only the server's processing queue but also the whole "entity population" to get whole state variable's defined on them at any arbitrary time thoughout the simulation run. All you have to do is to define additional expressions on search step. In the example file attached a simple model is developed to get entities' state variables residing at server1's processing queue. Here note that, you have to click button at arbitrary times. Then, if 3 or more entities exist at server1.processing queue, the search step founds the first 3 of them (since a forward search is  performedin this sample model) then later an excel write step writes entities created time (you can get many state variables of entities written on the same excel file). You can change search limit, queue state name, include a match condition etc. If you want to get such information at the beginning or at the end of the simulation run you should use this same logic at appropriate processes (onrunending, onruninitialized etc...). Also, you can get these information written on either a database or an output table as well. Hope this helps? 

getting a snaphot of Entity WIP via a button.spfx entities_processing.xlsx

Edited by gocken

Hi Gocken,

Sorry for delayed reply. This is very interesting! I have been wondering how a search might work.  Thank you so much for kindly taking the time to follow up with this answer.  It is very helpful!  I am particularly interested in the ability to search the entire population.  

Thank You!

Beat Regards,

Jim