Simio Forum

Simulate concurrent activities of an immobile entity such as a building or a ship.

My research aims to investigate uncertainties’ influence over the activities’ duration and the duration of a construction project.

The frequent use of Simio is creating multiple moving entities and observing their behaviour. However, building is the only entity, and it is immobile.

I am planning to let a Source produce a single entity representing a building and create Servers to work as ordered activities whose durations obey certain distributions.

Unlike a product being processed in sequence, construction involves concurrent and prioritized activities which are represented with a schedule network diagram.

Would someone give me a suggestion?

Thank you.

Activities.png

• 2 weeks later...

Based on your problem statement, it sounds like a Task Sequence might fit your needs. Task Sequences allow multiple activities to be performed at a single server, and each task can have different precedence dependencies. Additionally, loopback branches and concurrent processing are both supported. There are multiple Task Precedence Methods, but I would recommend examining either the ‘Immediate Predecessors Method’ or the ‘Immediate Successors Method’. For more information about Task Sequences and their Task Precedence Methods, I recommend checking out the Task Sequences page in the Simio Reference Guide and the SimBit “Server Using Task Sequence”. These resources should provide an excellent introduction to Task Sequence and Task Precedence Methods.

Depending on the details and your skills, the Task Sequences approach described by Rylan might be your best approach.

But if you want to model at a higher level so you can see animation and other higher-level features, you could also model this at the standard library level,. There your tasks would be the entities that are in search of resources to complete them. Depending on the complexity of your tasks, you might use a table driven approach, or you might just use Separate and Combine to create/handle subtasks.