Temporarily Block Paths

Emiliano

I have been utilizing SIMIO for a couple of months, but I am still relatively new to some of the features. One of the problems that I have recently encountered in my simulation is entities taking a path even when the receiving node (a separator) has an off shift rule. Specifically, I determine the availability of the separators based on 5 minute intervals with a TimeIndexedRow table reference. 

The attached image accurately represents my dilemma while simulating an airport checkpoint. The passengers are first processed in Server 1 and subsequently proceed into the paths leading to either separator 1 or separator 2, depending on which conveyor is available (has a value of 1) to process their luggage. In a specific scenario, lets assume separator 2 has a value of 0 meaning it is in the off shift position. When I simulate only one conveyor open, the passengers sometimes either take the inactive separator path and move back to server 1 to take the other route, or move back and forth the link until the separator becomes active again. Is there a way to block the path leading to that separator, for that 5-minute interval when separator 2 has a value of 0?

Perhaps this could be done with an add-on process trigger, however I have not been able to formulate one. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

image.png.740ccaeecbe8d2907ef2292b9c080f4d.png

You could put the two (or more) separator input nodes on a list and then at the Server output node, select from the list of separators - then you could use the Selection Condition property to select between those that are actually available, using either a table value or something like 'Candidate.Node.AssociatedStation.Capacity' expression checking the status of the separator capacity (if offshift). 

On 4/29/2019 at 10:09 AM, CWatson said:

You could put the two (or more) separator input nodes on a list and then at the Server output node, select from the list of separators - then you could use the Selection Condition property to select between those that are actually available, using either a table value or something like 'Candidate.Node.AssociatedStation.Capacity' expression checking the status of the separator capacity (if offshift). 

I appreciate your help as it solved the problem! However, I have one more question. When I apply the rule for only two separators there is no issue, but when I try to apply it to multiple separators a new challenge is encountered. Take the new picture as a reference. Instead of having one server being linked to two different separators, now I have multiple servers (Server 2-7) linked to a shared  transfer node that is linked to multiple separators (Separator 3-8). If I apply the same rule, when all the separators are in the active position (value of 1), all the entities are prone to use separator 3 and 4 being that it is the closest to the transfer node. This occurrence generates an outstanding entity queue as none are being routed to separators 5 -8, even though they are active. Similarly, if I provide separator 3 and 4 with an off shift rule (value of 0), the entities are prone to use separator 5 and 6, and not take separator 7 and 8 to alleviate the queue. The question is: Is there a way to apply a routing logic in the transfer node that aside from taking the path to the active separator, also distributes the entities uniformly(or take the one with the shortest route)between all available (active) separators?

Capture.thumb.PNG.ae2ce0e38a1c794688a8e7fb4955eb52.PNG