How to add delay/travel time?

Sean

I'm simulating a workflow, now between two servers, there's a delay between them, we could understand it as some out-of-control waiting time  or simply travel time between 2 servers. I don't know how to set this travel time perfectly. I tried set 'path' speed, but I don't think it setting that can make the time randomly… because in my situation, the delay processing time can be random.

I can add another server called 'delay/travel machine' to solve this problem perfectly, but it just looks ugly and weird… So I'm wondering if there's a better solution for this?

Hi Sean,

I would recommend exploring an Add-On Process Trigger that utilizes a Delay step. You can have the Delay Time of the Delay step set to an equation that is random (i.e. 'Random.Exponential(mean)').

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support 

33 minutes ago, cwhitehead said:

Hi Sean,

I would recommend exploring an Add-On Process Trigger that utilizes a Delay step. You can have the Delay Time of the Delay step set to an equation that is random (i.e. 'Random.Exponential(mean)').

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support 

I have new question followed, eg: I have item1, item2, item3, serverA and serverB process super fast, but when they go through from server A to server B they have waiting time 3 min, 5 min, 1 min. For server B, I want to process the item who arrives first... But now it seems, item2 and item3 have to wait until item1 is done traveling which is not what I want. Because ideally we want to make improve the utilization of both servers.

Hi Sean,

Where is your Process triggered? Depending on its location, it may allow multiple Entities to Delay simultaneously. For example, if this Process is at Output@ServerA, this will allow multiple to Delay at once and the Entity that finishes the Delay step first will move along the Path to ServerB first. You can have them Delay one at a time if you change the Output Buffer Capacity to '1', however, this will cause ServerA to be in a blocked state until the Delay is complete.

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support

19 minutes ago, cwhitehead said:

Hi Sean,

Where is your Process triggered? Depending on its location, it may allow multiple Entities to Delay simultaneously. For example, if this Process is at Output@ServerA, this will allow multiple to Delay at once and the Entity that finishes the Delay step first will move along the Path to ServerB first. You can have them Delay one at a time if you change the Output Buffer Capacity to '1', however, this will cause ServerA to be in a blocked state until the Delay is complete.

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support

I don't think that would work for my situation... But thank you very much.

Also, do you any idea that how I can control path speed? Currently there's only a speed limit... For conveyor I can change the speed, but the problem for conveyor is it can't allow passing between items...

Hi Sean,

I would recommend exploring Time Paths. You can set a specific or random Travel Time on Time Paths. I don't know your scenario exactly, but you could have 3 different Time Paths linking ServerA and ServerB with Selection Weights referring to the specific Entity item number and each of these Time Paths could have a different Travel Time.

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support

15 minutes ago, cwhitehead said:

Hi Sean,

I would recommend exploring Time Paths. You can set a specific or random Travel Time on Time Paths. I don't know your scenario exactly, but you could have 3 different Time Paths linking ServerA and ServerB with Selection Weights referring to the specific Entity item number and each of these Time Paths could have a different Travel Time.

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support

Time Path would work but use 3 different paths just a little bit ugly if there's an 'allow passing' option will be better, as in normal path, there's an  'allow passing' option...

1 hour ago, cwhitehead said:

Hi Sean,

All the best,

Caleb

Simio Technical Support

Also, this question may sound silly, but how to make specific type1 go path1, type2 go path2, type3 go path3? I have to create table? or there's an easier way?