Default Unit Settings (Imperial vs. Metric)

JohnWV

Is there a way to have the Unit Setting default as Imperial vs. Metric when starting a new model or creating a new entity?

It's very tedious to change every setting for every new component. Even subclassing Models or entities reverts back to the Metric default.

I assume that you are aware that on the Run Ribbon > Units Settings you can set any of the units defaults. For example, you can change the default Length & Distance from Meters to Feet.

Capture.PNG.7f6d3146599abcb082c1a93cbf585e5c.PNG

While this does not change the default in any object, it does change things like:

• the grid in the facility view will now be in feet,
  • distances in the trace window with be in feet, and
  • output statistics of type length or distance will be reported in feet.

I expect that you are requesting that when you place a object with a distance-related property like Initial Desired Speed on ModelEntity, that it would automatically be labeled in Feet per Minute rather than Meters per Second. Of course you would also want the corresponding default value to change along with it, for example from 1.4 m/s to 275 f/m. 

While I expect that is possible, it seems to me that is best as defined object behavior. For example, you could easily subclass ModelEntity to create a ModelObjectImperial that has those values and units as you desire and simply use that in all your models. 

That does provide a limited fix if I were to subclass everything in the Standard Library and only use those. However if I ever wanted to subclass the "ModelObjectImperial" or any of those "[StandardLibraryObject]Imperial" those subclasses revert back to metric.

• Like 1