How to make an entity stay in a server while waiting for next server to free up

rmonillas

I'm making a simple simulation model of a hospital and I'm having trouble with the routing of my model.

For instance, a patient first goes through ED and then to OR. if there is no room in the OR, then the patient must stay in ED. How can I model this?

I don't want the patient to wait at any input or output buffer, because then it assumes that the ED bed that the patient used to stay in is now free but it actually isn't.

Each bed is modeled as a server and there are more ED beds than there are OR beds. Naturally, all ED beds connect to a single transfer node, which then connect to all OR beds.

Set the buffers to zero...instead of using specifi time for processing, utilize task sequences and set the processing type property to process...I would then look to an add on process to check the stay post a delay....

Note their is a better way to do this with freespace routing, yet I think you will find that more challenging.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I appreciate this information, but I have a similar situation and I am a bit confused by the answer.  In this case for example, not sure what "stay post a delay" means.  Does this imply a loop checking at intervals to see if a release condition is met, namely an OR is freed allowing completion of a state dependent process that frees the ER?  It seems this logic might be common where availability of a downstream server blocks completion at an upstream service by blocking the space to process.  I would be interested in seeing a simple example of the OR to ER logic model if someone has one or something similar.

Thanks Much!

Jim