Accessing the Batch Quantity of Combiner

poudenx

I've ran into the following problem with a combiner:

I'm using it to model a load zone where taxis arrive to the parent node, passengers arrive to the member node, and the number of passengers boarding each vehicle is set by a random.discrete distribution (so that for instance 50% of the taxis have 1 passenger, 30% over 2, and 20% have three). This all works great.

But now, instead of having my passengers queue at the input node, I was hoping to make them queue at another upstream node, connected to the member input node by a path and every time a taxi arrives, I would like to send to the combiner only the number of passengers that will be batched with the taxi.

I tried using Combiner.BatchQuantity but without success so far. From what I've seen by looking at a display showing Combiner.BatchQuantify, it seems it's continuously going through its possibilities, whether a taxi is at the parent input node or not. Then I thought that maybe the number picked to batch passengers with taxis, was selected from that continuously changing value when a taxi entered the parent node, so I tried using the event ParentInput@Combiner1.Exited (as well as ParentInput@Combiner1.Entered) to extract the batchquantify assigned to that taxi but the value did not match the actual batching.

So I guess my question is: is there a way to access the value that is picked by the batching process to use it to send the right number of members to the combiner?

Thank you very much for your help.

Pascal

I believe that when each parent arrives to a combiner, Simio evaluates the Batch Quantity expression in the context of that parent entity. So if your taxi entity has a state name Qty and your Batch Quantity expression was ModelEntity.Qty, then the first taxi might have a value of 3 and the second taxi might have a value of 1.

You could assign the value of that state at any time and look at it from elsewhere as well.

• 7 months later...

Greetings!

I am trying to make a model in which materials arrive from source to CNC in a batch of 20 and after processing goes for shearing operation in a batch of 10, also checking which shearing machine is free to accept material. After shearing the parts are divided into various small parts (how to divide 1 entity into multiple entities?) and are moved to the bending machine depending upon specific parts are bent on specific machines. I have 1CNC, 2 Shear Machines, and 3 Bending machines. How should I simulate? I have attached my model.

Practice -1.spfx