Closing/opening servers or calling in workers to change capacity

Mkaste

Hello all.

I'm stuck on a project I'm working on. I'm trying to simulate a supermarket, where the cashiers open new check-outs when necessary (2 are always open and when there are 5 or more in queue they open another). To simulate this I've using 4 servers, with paths leading from the source to the first two nodes, setting up a balking system and then pathing from the first two servers the third server, and then the same for the fourth server, but the supermarket also closes the check-outs when there aren't enough customers to need it and I've been unable to figure out a way to do this.

The second way, suggested by my supervisor after discussing the problem, was to use a single server, and adding workers to increase processing speed when enough people are in queue, and removing these when there's only a few people in queue, but I can't figure out how to increase the processing capacity or speed of the server when more workers are assigned to it.

We have a SimBit named 'AddAndRemoveServerCapacity' that includes 6 servers and decision logic to turn on/off the server capacity based on the number of entities in the various lines for the 'open' servers. Monitor Elements within the Definitions window are used to evaluate the lines and a common process is used to turn on capacity.

Also, for updating the processing time based on the number of workers, see this user forum link for more information - http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2196&p=7147&hilit=change+processing+time+based+on+workers#p7147.