Six Sigma & other Lean Concepts

MarcoJHB

Hi all,

I'm busy with creating simulation games that replicate the various concepts in Lean Six Sigma.

These include impacts of variation in a system, multitasking effects, etc.

If anyone is interested I can clean them up a bit and share them here.

They work great for teaching people the various concepts, as I've added the ability to change the inputs to get different throughput/cycle time and work in progress results.

Hi all,

I'm still a bit new to simulations, but here is the first one, it's a Dice Game used to reflect the effects of variation in a business. Often people will assume that just because you have good and bad days, your variation will eventually average out. This uses a simple claims process, where a task is dependant on the previous task, and can only handle what is currently in its work in progress pile (not what is coming next).

The game works like this:

- Each day, a person rolls his/her dice

- This determines his/her current capacity (same for the customer)

- The process can't take from the previous pile (even if they have excess capacity)

The simulation highlights the effects of balancing flow, not capacity. I've added some properties that you can change at each one of the stations, such as a constant dice role or reduced variation. Last week my BPO team played the game (only for 10 days), then I showed them the simulation that runs for 200 days. Playing around with the different properties was also interesting and insightful.

Any improvement comments are more than welcome, like I said, I'm still learning.

Have fun! :D

DiceGame_V3.spfx

DiceGameSimulationLayout.thumb.PNG.8b0707c1d14a41e8dd5eee7a792f5400.PNG