Worker Scheduling

mattsum

Hi,

I am busy modeling a meat and fish shop and would like to ask for some help with the worker scheduling.

I need to figure out the optimal number of workers that need to be assigned between the MeatandFishCounter and DeliCounter in 30 minute intervals (workers can only be added or removed in 30 minute intervals) so that the entities entering the LunchtimeCustomerOnly sink are in the store for a maximum of 3 minutes, the entities entering the NormalCustomerOnly sink are in the store for a maximum of 5 minutes and the entities entering the NormalCustomerBoth sink are in the store for a maximum of 20 minutes. Additionally, I need to ensure that 0 entities enter the balking sink at any stage throughout the simulation. An entity will balk if the number-in-system is greater than 24 at any given time.

The shop is open from 9am and closes at 5pm but the customers still in the store at closing will still be processed.

I would really appreciate some suggestions on how I can go about doing this.

Siyonela Meat and Fish.spfx

The "brute force" way is to set up 32 controls (16 half hour sessions x 2 positions) and let OptQuest vary those controls to seek optimum. To do this you would manually create 32 properties and then manually type those property names into the value field for each half hour of a day pattern.

A more elegant, but time consuming, way might be to come up with some strategies for varying the workers (e.g. you probably would not vary from 1 to 5, then back to 1, in 3 consecutive periods) and them optimize which strategy is best.