Road works iteration throughout the month

MQasim1

Hello all

I have few silly questions to ask.

1) I am creating a model (attached),where several vehicles are involved in 8 hours shift everyday. They work on 100m each day, once I have simulated that for 1st patch of 100m, How can I make iterate for rest of the month. They should continue the work where left the day before. So moving forward by 100m everyday.

2) Is there any Sim-bit or sample model where one vehicle uses another vehicle. e.g. how to simulate an Excavator digging up road and filling Dump trucks at the same time. And when one truck is filled and left the area, how can this vehicle request for a new vehicle i.e. dump truck.

3) How to track the Distance covered by each specific vehicle at the end of day ? (in results tab ?)

Road works.spfx

Thanks a lot in advance

simio.JPG.8c0b382fac9c7fe77c9fefbc306512ca.JPG

I cannot open your model. Please mention that you are using academic license in the future. I do not think there is a good SimBit showing interactions among multiple vehicles. I would strongly advise against that, as you need a node every time (precisely knowing where it happens!) and animation would not look nice. However, what is the purpose of the simulation then, if you know your progress exactly?

If you want to show nicely the progress of the works even when you make different progress on various days I suggest doing everything in freespace. This will work only if you accept straight-line movements. You can store the progress in a variable and smoothly iterate in steps. For every day the vehicle will store then e.g. starting position, progress goal, movement direction. Add a vector for a vehicle for progress/distance/whatever for each day. Add a tally for average results among multiple vehicles. With limited number of vehicles you can reference them and create custom events to move around and offset truck from excavator etc. A lot of tedious work.

Unless you really need to carry cargo between locations or use multiple resources for a task, use entities instead of vehicles (way simpler). Interaction between entities in freespace will be a challenge though, but you should manage with absolute/relative coordinates.

Dear ptkolodziejczyk, Thanks for replaying in detail.

I apologize for not mentioning the academic license thing. Yes, i know the progress of work for each day but the purpose of simulation is to simulate the as-is process and then run some what-if scenarios that are not possible otherwise in real life to find rooms for improvement and full utilization of resources.

Sorry, what do you exactly mean by free space? Not using the map background ? If so, it helps me in figuring out the exact places on map and the view is much clearer. However, its not v v important.

By freespace (Simio concept, see help) I mean not using nodes and paths to direct the movement of your entities, but have them roam 'free', and their progress be determined by heading, speed and duration. I don't know exactly how detailed you need your problem to be modeled but if it is just one road and with limited equipment it should not be too bad.

The map underneath does not influence the execution of your simulation in any way, so it is up to you to decide whether it provides value to your solution.

Dear ptkolodziejczyk

Thanks a lot.

I am not an advanced user I am struggling with it.

Do you know if any one can provide services regarding that.

Thanks

(Edited, removed email address)

Edited by Guest

I am sorry but I see 2 problems with your request:

1. I am pretty sure that Simio would not appreciate solicitaion here

2. Judging from your academic license you are either a student or a researcher, the latter less likely. Taking shortcuts will not help you, and there is a good chance it would be plain cheating.

You can do it, you just need to put enough effort. I wish you good luck.

haha thanks mate :D for advice. I am a researcher btw

For process optimizing, we are studying a process done by a company and one of the task was to simulate an activity. We have adequate funds available from the University for external training and services. Therefore it is not Cheating to Hire services if done through proper channel.

I will try doing that task myself, we have some time now.

From Simio's perspective we have no problem with users connecting on the forum.

While we would not permit blatant advertising, if someone is willing to pay for help, and someone else has the time and skill to provide that help, we are happy to facilitate the connection.

I'd suggest contacting your local partner (http://www.simio.com/find-partners/index.php) or perhaps posting in this forum http://www.simio.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=34 . But this sounds like a small project so perhaps another user would offer to assist you.

This might be an ideal opportunity for a student who has recently completed a good Simio class and still has their student license. This could be an interesting project to further your simulation experience and maybe get a resume addition. You might also try to connect up with students who have won our simulation competition - winners of the current round will be announced June 2.