How exactly do you use the switch control variable?

vhgreeff

Good morning,

Looking at flow nodes, under the Input- and Output flow control sections, there's a slot for Switch Control Variable. I've tried to figure out exactly how this works but could not find anything in any Simio literature so far (Joines Roberts, Introduction to Simio, Simio Reference Guide and this Forum).

I'm clearly missing something.

How you would make use of this property to make switching between 5+ outbound links more intelligent?

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure where you found the property but you can use the split allocation rule. Select a rule that you want and make your link weights equal to a variable weight and you can do basically anything.

Hope this helps.

1) Add a state variable to you model that is the switch control variable. For example, add an integer state variable named 'MySwitchControlVar'.

2) Specify the variable that you created as the Switch Control Variable on the Flow Node.

3) On each of the possible outbound links that can be chosen, in the Selection Weight expression for the link enter an expression like 'MySwitchControlVar==1' which would say for that particular outbound link, send flow to that link if the switch control variable has a value of '1'.

4) Add your own state assignment logic to assign that switch control variable a new value whenever you want to 'switch over' to sending flow to a different outbound link from the flow node.

There may be a SimBit (a small example) installed with Simio that illustrates the approach. The description text of the Switch Control Variable property also provides some of the same information that I provided above.