Arrival Pattern Question

sraja2

Hello Everyone,

I would like to use patient daily arrivals to the ED. I have daily totals, but I want them to follow a pattern (eg. at midnight the arrival is much less than during noon). I am trying to include future forecasts (my forecasts are daily forecasts and not hourly) and this is why I need to somehow input daily numbers into rate table but also make it follow the pattern. Would really appreciate help with this! Thank You!

Best regards,

Sumanth

Try using the Rate Scale Factor on the Source for Rate Table. The Rate Scale Factor can be used to increase or decrease the values in the Rate Table by a given amount. For example, to increase the Rate Table values by 50%, the Rate Scale Factor should be 1.5. Set the Rate Table Factor as a state variable that changes everyday.

Hi Katie, Thank you for your response.

Im not really familiar with how this can be done. For example, I want the rate factor to change by each hour of the day. The rate hour can be the same for all days, but the rate factor must vary between each hour. Is it possible to do this? Thanks!

I tried using a state variable and created a process which is triggered by a timer each day. Within the process, i used 24 alternating assign an delay steps, with a delay of 1 hour. In each assign step I assigned a different value for the rate factor. Then using a table I introduced a state property associated to the source. I would think this should work, but it crashes every time I try to run the model. Any Help? Thanks in advance!

Hello Thank You for your help, i was able to implement it!! I have a slight snag though, in the rate tables it only allows me to enter arrival events per hour. I have daily sum of arrivals (say x). If i assume mean arrivals per hour are the same and use the typical sum(x)/24, the model underestimates the total arrivals per day. I understand that simio uses exponential distribution to randomly genrate a number. Do you have any suggestion for me to retrieve arrivals per hour from daily arrivals to input into simio? Thank You!