Memory Management

Hi guys.

I'm starting this topic because I have some doubts that I would like to clarify regarding Simio's memory management. While working on my model I noticed these things:

When I try to run simulation experiences, since my model is huge, Simio can only handle 2 experiences at a time (due to my computers limitations). If I try to run more, lets say 8, it gives a System out of Memory error. Fine. Yet, if I try to perform 2 experiences at a time, it executes all of the 8... I am curious, why is it necessary to run them separately? Can´t Simio manage the memory needed?

Also sometimes when I work on my model for several hours without restarting Simio, I have problems when I try to run the model (I get warnings telling me to e-mail the error), run experiences or even save the project! I get the feeling that this is due to successive runs/experiences I do without restarting the tool but, once again, can't Simio manage its memory usage?

Well, looking forward for some enlightenment on this topic. Thanks!

We have also experienced slow down in model behavior for large models. Consistently experiencing slowing down during the course of a day (during development). Any property or layout or any change in the model, result in longer and longer processing time before the change is applied. Closing down and reopening Simio solves the problem.

I don't see any obvious indication of a memory leak (memory utilized before and during the day remain the same). We are running 64 Bit and experience similar behavior across different machines with anywhere between 4GB and 32GB of memory installed. My guess is it has to do with the undo trace that is building up and with a model this size the effect becoming apparent.

Any others with similar experience?

Sincerely,

Martin

• 1 year later...

We have never encountered that problem among our staff, but I discussed it with a developer and your guess is a good possibility. Currently the undo history is both comprehensive and unlimited. For example, if you import a data table it probably keeps a copy of the old one to support undo. Things like that could use up a lot of memory.

If this is reproducible for you, you can do an easy test. Wait until you start having the problem and then do something that clears the undo buffer. I don't recall all the things that clear undo, but I think loading OptQuest is one. Closing and reopening the project (not Simio itself) is another.

If this really is the cause of the problem, then we could probably add a feature to optionally limit the size of the undo buffer.

Dave -

Thanks for the response. Maybe we're just building too large models or spending too much time in Simio (or both). :)

Yes closing and opening a model does solve it too, but not ideal. If there is a Applications Settings based option to limit the number of undo steps or undo buffer size control (I'm fine with the default setting being infinite), it would be much appreciated.

Safe travels,

Martin

Just wanted to chime in that I've run into this a lot, too. I notice it particularly when trying to bind tables. The bind and import will work the first time, but I will get an out-of-memory exception if I try to manually re-import the data (although, it appears that the auto-import works fine). Restarting Simio appears to fix the issue, but it is annoying :)

-Adam

• 3 months later...

Hello,

How big are the tables you're running in Simio?

Dealing with a 2-milion rows table feed by a csv file takes 4 GB in RAM memory (for each table). In case you are using manual import with such tables your PC gets hardly reactive. Automatic import slows down the system only when running the model, obviously. Then, defining a similarly sized matrix takes roughly the same amount of memory, approximately 3.5 GB RAM. One might think that a matrix data structure should be far much lighter than a table's, but it is not, apparently.

A curious thing, memory occupancy remain the same if you quit the model, only re-starting Simio the amount of memory used is cleared. It migh be the backup function.

HAs anyone found any trick to work comfortably with by those really huge data structures?

regards,