Randomness during experiments

woutervloon

Hi All!

I would like to evaluate the system I build with multiple parameter settings using experiments. Although I enabled randomness, some results among different experimental setups are exact copies. To be specific: the source station generates the same ('random') time sequence of generated entities for all experimental setups (time sequences for replication 1 in Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 are the same). Although there is randomness among replications within one exeperimental setup (time sequences for replication 1 and 2 in Scenario x are different), I would like 'more' randomness.

Does one of you have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Wouter

Attaching your model would be helpful so we can see what you are doing.

Are you specifying random number streams? Have you incorporated any replication-specific logic in your model?

To greatly oversimplify... you could think of every replication 1 uses seed 1 for every scenario. Every replication 2 uses seed 2 forevery scenario. ... So if you set up 5 identical scenarios (e.g. the controls are the same and the reps required are the same) then they all use the same pseudo-random numbers and you will get identical results for each rep of each scenario. But each rep 2 will be different than rep 1 because it is using a different seed.

As soon as you change anything from scenario 1 to scenario 2, then you will probably cause the streams to be pulled in a different order and then generate different results.