Entity seizing a resource across multiple workstations

popejo11

Hi all,

I'm a new user to Simio and am having to give myself a crash course in the software, so please bear with me. I posted this in the material handling forum but have realized that this is probably a better question for the SI Objects forum.

My project is a manufacturing facility that involves product being created, processed, and finished in tooling, which is transported between process steps by transporter vehicles. My team is attempting to determine the need for additional tooling and transporters in this facility, and so material handling and resources are the main focus area of the project.

Can entities seize resources across multiple workstations? IE, an entity (product) would seize a resource (tooling) out of the Source, and continue seizing that same resource as it travels through several workstations, and then release the resource as the entity enters the Sink? In our facility, the product is supported in tooling as it undergoes multiple operations at different workstations, and we need a way to model the tooling utilization. The transporters can come and go freely while the part/product & tooling combination are in process at each workstation.

Is it possible to model this in Simio? Or reasoning behind using the objects the way we are is so that we can track utilization of the tooling and transporters to determine at what production rate they cross the 100% utilization rate threshold.

Thanks in advance.

I think I figured this out. Switching from workstations to servers allowed me to use secondary resource seizing and releasing across a process. So the first server would seize the resource, the resource remains seized through the process, and then the last server releases the resource.

It sounds like you already discovered the easiest approach. That approach is most applicable when the resource is something like a fixture that truly is seized and held. Note that you can do that with any object. The Server makes it easy to do with properties, but in any other object you can use Seize and Release steps in an add-on process.

If instead you just want periodic access to the same resource used previously, it is slightly more difficult, but you can do that too. Look to SimBit: Seizing Same Resource From List for an example of that.