Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum! Experience the full experience of the forum by becoming a Simio Insider! You must be an Insider to post on any forum!

Click_Here_button.png

mmashaie

randomness

Hello,

I would like to get a confirmation of my understanding on a randomness and seed used to run a model, please. Essentially I want to ensure that running the model many times with a different seed will still output realistic results.

When running a model, I notice that if I run it multiple times by hitting play or fast-forward, I get the same results. I assume that the same seed is being used to run the model. My understanding is that if I change the seed, I get a different result. To change the seed, I go to the Run ribbon, Advanced Options, Randomness, and change the replication number. I want to ensure I interpret the mouse-over dialogues correctly.

Attached is an image.

Thanks in advance.

randomness.thumb.jpg.2fdac04cef3bf323e58cad69398c9ebf.jpg

You are correct, but that option is intended as a fairly advanced option - primarily for use when you are running multiple replications in an experiment and you are trying to debug a problem encountered in a particular replication.

In general, because you are running only a single replication and because you can actually change things and interact with the model during the run you should not make conclusions from an interactive run. Instead, when you are ready to study your output, you should create an experiment (which also runs much faster), run multiple replications, and the use those results.

Simio's random number generator is so huge that we can do many things like seed management for you automatically. Rarely would you ever need to worry about things like this.