Determining Batch Quantity based on property of entities

mjmbrands

Hi!

I want to model the loading of containers at a terminal. On each terminal there is a queue with containers. Each container has different properties, like the size in TEU (is equal to 1 or 2) and their destination. I want to batch a vehicle (parent entity) to a group of containers (member entities).

When the capacity of the vehicle is for instance 10 TEUs, you have to batch an amount of containers to that vehicle. The problem is that I cannot express the Batch Quantity in containers, but only in TEUs. Per container the size in TEUs is known and the containers (member entities) must all have the same destination. What should be the expression for the Batch Quantity?

It is the most optimal when the vehicle with a capacity of 10 TEUs will be loaded fully. So, when the first number of containers in the list that will be loaded on the vehicle has a common size of 9 TEUs, the last spot can only be occupied by a 1 TEU container. When the first container waiting is 2 TEUs, this one must wait, but the first 1 TEU container waiting in the queue can be taken by the vehicle. How to model this?

Does someone has an idea to model this problem? Thanks!

One approach that comes to mind would be a custom vehicle serving as transporter instead of the batching approach. Then utilize the evaluating transport request to check if TEU capacity on the vehicle is available or not.

Sincerely,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I think this isn't possible because of the routing of the vehicles: I don't want that the containers reserve a Vehicle object (reserve best/closest), but I want that custom made vehicles pick up containers (batching) based on the properties of the vehicles which are ready for transport). Because the containers don't ride on a transporter the containers must be batched to the custom made vehicle.

So I don't know what you mean exactly with the evaluating transport request. How does this work? Can you only use it for a transporter?

Kind regards,

Marloes