Simio Forum

Re: Binding table to database (MySQL)

I didn't find a mention of how to go setting up a MySQL binding on a table, so here is a quick guide that I would like to see included in the help manual.

First, navigate to the data tab. Select your table, and you should be able to add a binding for "databases".

2014-07-03_12-43-40.thumb.png.40992ac2a2740d596ab5fd84fc63feb8.png

When attempting to bind to a database for the first time, it is likely that you will not have a connector installed. You will receive an error similar to: "Could not load available tables from database connection, error message: Unable to find the requested .NET Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed."

2014-07-03_12-38-21.png.ecf8ce8f65c25798f4b1e52aaccb6032.png

If you are using windows, then fixing this should be simple. Head over to the mysql site and download a .NET connector (as of writing: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net -- Connector/Net 6.8.3 for the Microsoft Windows platform)

After installing this connector, restart Simio and attempt to add the database binding again.

The rest should be straight forward, but I will quickly cover it anyway.

2014-07-03_12-44-54_Import_Your_Database.png.4642dbe49d926090b95fc43d7e91f545.png

You will need to enter a server name. This should be the location of the server (e.g. awesomedomain.com, localhost, or server-lan-name, etc.)

By default, MySQL listens on port 3306. Check with your administrator if 3306 does not work.

Database name is... you guessed it... the name of the database.

UserID and password are the credentials you need to access the database. Check with your administrator.

The custom connection string can be left alone, as the provided fields should cover almost all use cases... and anyone using something non-standard would probably know what that field is all about.