Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum! Experience the full experience of the forum by becoming a Simio Insider! You must be an Insider to post on any forum!

Click_Here_button.png

marquisd

Bidirectional Flow Connectors

Hi All

Can someone describe how I can add bidirectional functionality to a flow connector, if it's possible at all (perhaps a subclassed functionality)? (Yes, I've put this in this Suggestions area too.) I'd like to model a piping loop, where, if a section has to be shut off, the downstream chemical users can get the chemical from the other direction.

I haven't programmed in Simio yet, so wouldn't even know where to start.

Thanks

Dave

The easiest way to model this would probably be to just use two flow connectors. The only thing the connectors do is connect the flow nodes, so by using two connectors you allow both directions between the nodes.

You can use the node properties to control which direction has priority/works/etc.

I thought of that, but I'd like to have a single object that encapsulates the functionality. Double "piping" is an acceptable work-around for small systems or a demo, but having two flow connectors for each section of "pipe" for large systems would become unwieldy.

Hmmm...actually tried it and got some odd results. Attached is the sample model. All nodes merge incoming and split outgoing. I have a toggle button on one "common" node. The source is set to output 100 m3/hr of material. The sink accepts 10000. Running the model shows a flowrate of 60 m3/hr to start. Toggling the node changes the flowrate to 75. Toggle again produced 68.1818. The allocation rules are based on inflow rates and the nodes allow 100 m3/hr. Clearly, this is not right and the underlying logic seems to be tripping on the node logic. (The sample model has all common nodes set to "Unconstrained" which is 1e9.)

Also, changing the allocation rule to to Order By Link Weight breaks the system after 1 toggle and Based on Link Weight breaks the system from the start. Even setting the nodes to allow a very large flow-through doesn't fix the problem (initially flow out is <100, then still <100 but smaller and finally >100).

So, not only would the large system become graphically unwieldy, the logic and troubleshooting would likely become a nightmare. A single element that captures these logic issues, hopefully, would resolve these issues AND would make a "pipe" that is more physically accurate.

BTW: Adding bidirectional flow connectors will likely need modifications to the flow nodes as well.

Thanks

Simple Piping Loop System.spfx