Simio Forum

Collaborating in a team and re-using objects

I have been using Simio for quite a while now, and have started to build up my own library of common objects. It is great that Simio allows you to build Object Oriented models, as these objects should in theory be re-usable.

I now have to start thinking about what happens when my colleagues all start moving to Simio. This could mean 2, 5, 10, or more than 100 modellers all working on different projects at the same time. How do we effectively collaborate and expand our toolbox of common elements?

The notion of SimBits is novel, but as proved time and time again on this forum (myself included), does not effectively allow you to share actual models. They are difficult to describe in a way that is easily searchable, and can be very specific. They are a great starting point as they can demonstrate methods, and are definitely better than nothing, but would not scale well when you start to have hundreds or even thousands of them.

Does anyone have experiences to share in managing this issue? I can see this easily becoming a large challenge to deal with. Perhaps facilitating a user generated SimBit section (that can be limited to within an organisation, and extensible such that it could be pointed at a central server), would be a potential starting point.

I am very interested in new ideas that anyone comes up with. I must take issue with one comment though:

[models] are difficult to describe in a way that is easily searchable
In fact every model (and hence every object definition) has fields for Description, Keywords, and Categories which were created and used for exactly this purpose when loaded as a SimBit.

I don't think it is something take offense over, as even the guys behind the new HTML standards still haven't come close to solving this issue yet. No matter how much meta data you put on elements (in this case Simio models), unless the user has an exact idea of what they are specifically looking for, they will overlook things.

If I were describing generic model objects or even complete models using just those three fields, I may completely describe the use cases I would use it in, but not necessarily every single one it could be used in or what techniques I used to make it with. Perhaps an example will better illustrate what I am trying to convey.

In one of my models, I abstracted my environment (in this case it was an underground panel) into a re-usable object. If someone else was going to make a field on a farm that shares many key functionality (internal scheduling, etc.), from searching the meta data it is unlikely they would see my object... nor would they want to read the PDF describing it. If we are to assume that they would look at each model (SimBit style), it would take more and more time as the library grew larger and larger.

The library style for the SimBits is definitely a good starting point though. Is it possible for Simio to enable us to build our own SimBit collections, that are kept separate?

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

The SimBits are a valuable tool though. :(

It would be nice if we could make our own collection and host them centrally. Ideally we would have an xml file that contained the metadata and all the SimBits sitting on a network share, and get each user to map a network drive to them.

You can do exactly what you said right now loading them through the file menu. You can pin the folder so its easy to get to -- that's how I personally load SimBits all the time anyway.

You have to do without the existing SimBit search engine or create your own. Or if there was demand we could probably find a way to make our exiting one user configurable.