How to model a simple buffer

AGarcia

This is a very simple question that is common to many models.

Let's imagine I just want an element where entities will be stored untill some other element 'pulls' from them.

What is the easiest way to imlement having rich information on the amount of entities stored in that element, their average throughput time, etc?

Many thanks.

One option would be to have the entities transfer into a station and use the Wait step to 'hold' them there until something else triggers them to exit with a Fire step. The advantage of having the entity transfer into/out of the station is that the statistics of the station are captured automatically - for example, the number (average/maximum) in the station, the holding time in the station, and the counts of number entered / exited the station. The Transfer and EndTransfer steps would be used to move the entities into/out of the station and the station.contents queue can be used to animate those entities waiting. See the attached example, built using Simio sprint 91.

WaitInStation.spfx

I've done this similar to how Christine has done it, but using the built in parking station of a node. I've taken Christine's model and modified it to use the parking station.

A small trick -- to get the statistics on the node you'll need to set the 'Report Statistics' property of the node to True. It defaults to False.

Another option, with significantly more overhead, would be to use a server that you turn on and off.

WaitInParking.spfx