Run Time Simio?

vlimmer

Yes. Runtime is a capability for a model to be run by someone who does not have a Simio license.

Let's review some version capability:

-- Models created in Simio Design Edition can be run by anyone with a commercial license, but cannot be run by someone with a academic or evaluation software.

-- Models created in Simio Team or Enterprise Edition can be run by anyone with a commercial license, but can also be run by someone with evaluation software.

-- Evaluation software is similar to the commercial version except that it cannot save models and can only load models that are prepared using Enterprise Edition. And it cannot execute programmatic interfaces (an advanced feature). Evaluation software can be freely downloaded from the Simio.com web site.

So if you use Simio Team or Enterprise Edition, you can distribute your models to anyone else and they can run the models using software that they can legally use for free.

The runtime user can load your model, run it interactively to view the animation, and even change the model at will. But they cannot save any model changes. To do that requires a commercial version.

You (the model builder) can further restrict what the runtime user can do, if you wish, by protecting parts of your original model. So if your desire is to distribute a model for experimentation in the interactive mode only, you can protect the model so they can only change only the properties that you expose.

Simio imposes no limits to the number of models you can distribute or the number of people you distribute to. And you are free to distribute outside of your organization if you choose. And there is no charge for any such distribution.

• 3 years later...
{Updated above}

Where do Team licenses fit in?

For the first time I was without my team license, and to my horror discovered that you can't run experiments without a license if your model has anything more than: 16steps or 19objects, or 4models.

I guess that means you can't distribute a model for "experimentation".

The post you quoted was over 3 years old (now updated a bit) and lots of things have changed since then including we moved to a new (.com) web site, renamed the existing Enterprise edition to Team Edition, then a year later came out with a new product named Team Edition. Somewhere along the way we introduced a new product named Express Edition which, among other things, can serve as a full runtime that supports experimentation.

Here is an excerpt from our current documentation:

Description of Runtime Capability

Runtime is the ability for people to execute a Simio model without investing in that design-time version of Simio. Simio imposes no limits to the number of models you can distribute or the number of people you distribute to. And you are free to distribute outside of your organization if you choose. There is no charge for any such distribution Two runtime modes are available:

Interactive Runtime

Uses Simio Evaluation Version which is available free to anyone and may be used without activation. It provides the ability to load a model, run it interactively to view the animation, and even change the model at will. Model changes cannot be saved nor is the capability provided to run experiments or execute custom user-written steps and elements. Only Simio Team Edition (or higher) is capable of creating models that will run in Interactive Runtime.

Full Runtime

Uses Simio Express Edition. In addition to the substantial modeling features built into Express, it provides the ability to load and run models, save model changes, run experiments, and execute custom user-written steps and elements. Design, Team, and Enterprise Editions can create models for use with Full Runtime.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I did a quick forum search and this was the only relevant post I found.

I was a bit disappointed in the stance on experiments. I would have thought the ability to run, but not create experiments to be more fair (for Team edition and higher).

I guess we are either going to have to drop support for experiments in our team models, or buy an express license.

• 8 years later...