How to set up the Failure Type?

TRoehrl

Hello Simio Community!

In my current project I want to show how Failures affect a business process, when they occur at a certain time during the day.

My problem is that I don't understand how to invoke these Failures let's say between 7.00 and 9.00am every day.

When I try the Event based Failure item there is not possibility for changing the settings of an event. Plus I don't know how the calendar based Failure system works.

Does anyone have experience with that kind of Failure-Setting?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hmmm, I have read through the Simbits.

But couldnt find the solution to my problem.

What do you mean by "the monitor element"? Or what does it do and where can I find it?

If I want to stop the server for a couple of minutes every day during the same time of the day, do I even have to use the Failure Type or do I have to do it with Add on process triggers and some work arounds? Maybe Off-Shift?

Thanks again,

Thomas

Please elaborate on what you want to do. Are you looking for deterministic failures on demand? If so:

-- One approach is to do this totally within processes using the Fail and Repair Steps.

-- Another approach is to specify an Event-based failure on Server, then use process logic or even entity arrivals to trigger those events (and the resulting failures) on demand.

So what I want to do:

I want to make a one year Business Process Simulation. Every Day between a certain time (7am-9am) one part (an IT-System) of the whole process, represented by a single Server, must not work for around 10 minutes. I cant figure out how to tell Simio to Fail every day, at the same time. Is it possible to make it with a Fail-Schedule or something like that?

Sorry if my previous question wasn't clear enough, but english is not my mother tongue.

Thanks for helping,

Thomas

"Must not work" - is this really a "failure" or just scheduled time when it cannot work. The latter is a bit easier. You just assign the capacity to 0 for a time period, then restore the capacity to 1. Use a Timer to create an event at time 7 hours, then every 24 hours. That event can trigger a process that delays for a random time of 0-2 hours, assigns capacity to 0, delays for another random time of about 10 minutes, then sets capacity back to 1.

In real life it is a Failure, but I want to show that there is a difference at what time the failure occurs (7am-9am is worse than 9am-11am). So basically I need a scheduled Downtime. How do you make the first Delay? It seems that my "Failure" still starts at different times, even though the length of the Failure is correct. Is it possible to post another simple example like you did with the Combiner? That helped me a lot!

Thank you for your support!

Tom

You can use a timer to execute a process at a specific time...or monitor works based on a change in a state or a variable....

This will enable you to do exactly what you want to do....

Look at the definitions tab -> elements on the left hand side - > Monitor or Timer on the top Ribbon...

Else search the Help for Timer and Monitor respectively....

Thank you dsturrock, your solution helped me a lot!

But I have another question. I think it might be an easy one again.

As I told you, I use different kind of entities, which enter the model with a certain probability written down in the rate tables.

I now want to make a simulation run with excately 10000 Entities (altogether). The "Run" Ribbon does not offer that setting and the soruce itself has a field which says maximum arrivals. But when I type in 10000 at the maximum arrivals field, only around 8500 will in fact enter the model! Do you know why this is, or where I have to change the settings? The problem seems to be very ordinary and common. Maybe I think too complicated!

Thanks for your help once again.