String to object reference

Pedro

You might be able to use a search step to search for an object with the name.

Usually its easier just to pass object references around than using string searching though...

... unless they come from an external information source to simio, where we haven't object references :(

If its a table import, you can change the column type to be 'object' instead of 'string' once the table is initially set up -- it will remember this type on future imports.

It might be possible to write a custom step that finds an object based on a string, too, if the search step doesn't work for you.

• 6 years later...

I had the opposite problem today (trying to get a string from an object reference) and I was able to use the .Name function to do so. I imagine you could check if the object's .Name function output matches the string. This post is very old but I wanted to post a reply here in case it helps someone.

• 4 months later...

Hi Allyson! I am trying to get ModelEntity.CurrentStation as a string, and when I put ModelEntity.CurrentStation.Name it returns, for example, Processing if what I actually want is Filler63.Processing. Actually I only want Filler63 as a string but I don't know how to get that. Could you help me out? thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/2/2013 at 6:18 AM, MEagar said:

Please support my post for arrays of type object...where each dimension can be of a different object type.

I second this idea.  If we can directly assign string name to a object-reference state variable, then use the object-ref state variable as the Object, it will be a lot helpful.

String concat is a very good one, for example , ModelEntity go through NodeA, we define its next destination as NodeA_a ....