Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum! Experience the full experience of the forum by becoming a Simio Insider! You must be an Insider to post on any forum!

Click_Here_button.png

Nadine

Seize a resource by one entity through the whole process

Hello,

can a resource be seized by an entity through the whole process? The resource should work on one entity until it departs the process. Here an example:

Source - Server 1 - Server 2 - Server 3 - Server 4 - Sink

The resource is secondary resource of every Server. When the entity arrives in Server 1 the resource is seized. Now the resource should be seized in Server 2 by the same entity, then in Server 3 by the same entity and so on. Then the next entity should pass through the whole process. I've tried to increase the entity priority after each Processing Step/ Server and then select 'Largest Value First' as Dynamic Selection Rule within the resource but it doesn't work properly.

Hope you understand my problem an can help me! :)

Thanks, Nadine

Have you tried to seize the resource via a process?

Once the resource is seized by an entity, it can be travelling along a number of stations without being released until you invoke a new process with this purpose (typically by using a step "release") or the owning entity leaves the system.

Regards,

I can follow your thoughts but I don't know how to do it in Simio. If I try do make an add-on process (seize) for the first server and an add-on process (release) for the last server then my resource can't still be secondary resource for all the servers and be seized by each step. So my entity remains on the first server cause the resource is not free to do the second step. It will not be released before the last server (with add-on process release)

Is your resource capacity equal to 1? I forgot mentioning this point.

It seems logical that if you want to capture and hold this capacity by many entities simultaneously, you should make this value bigger (at least as big as the sum of the entities owning that resource).

Also... in case you don't wish that more than more than one entity goes through any server at the same time, you should implement some logic to prevent it to happen, like, say, a second resource for each server. This 2nd resource should be seized and released at every entity flowing through it.

Yes the capacity is 1 in my Testmodel. I only want that the same resource finnishes all process steps for the first entity and then takes the next one and finishes all steps and so on. This would be most suitable for the real situation. The official works on one order until it is finnished and then he takes the next one. In Simio he wokrs on them disordered but he doesn't in reality.

Ok, I'm trying to understand.

The entity flows through a number of stations (servers). At first station, the entity captures the resource (not the opposite). The entity keeps control of the resource until quitting the final station. Is that right?

How many entities are flowing through the circuit like that? More than one? Are they all capturing the same resource?

C'est très important de comprendre que ce ne sont pas les ressources qui capturent les entités, mais l'inverse.

Pour se laisser capturer par plus d'une entité à la fois, il est nécessaire que les ressources aient une capacité qui soit d'accord avec le nombre d'entités qui vont les capturer (saisir).

Yes that's right! In my Model there are about 10000 entities which get through the process over time. I have 4 resources that can be seized. Each entity should capture one resource to go through the whole process. After that the released resource can be seized by the next entity waiting in the queue. The model imitates a process for managing orders to get a credit. One order can only be processed by the same official until he has finnished and takes the next one.

PS: I'm German :)

okay, so to allow entities to pick one of the available resources, you may want to define a list of objects containing every resource.

Then, in your seize step you make each entity selecting one resource among those contained in that list (Inside Seize Step "Object Type": choose FromList)

Once the entity leaves the final station, it releases the resource via a Release Step. The resource is free then to be seized by another entity (thus, allowing this one to be processed)

Ps: Ops! I thought you were French, since your name is very popular here. :)

If I do so, i can't select my resources as secondary resources in my servers... So the entities go through the servers although no resource is available. Are there no other possibilities to connect a resource to an entity throught more server steps? Maybe via selection goal within the secondary resource properties?

I think you´re trying to model a common situation in business process/workflow execution in which a resource can handle all work items of a process case (workflow instance), right?

There are a lot of ways to do this depending on exactly what behavior you want. Here is screen shot illustrating 3:ReusingSecondaryResources.thumb.PNG.6f0c9caa8796387c542c19489d823ce2.PNG

I attached the model, but it was done in the about-to-be-posted Sprint 90 -- it may not work in earlier sprints. If so, sprint 90 should be posted soon (perhaps today).ReusingSameSecondaryResource.spfx

I'm already SI! Could you please post the link or the name of this topic? Thanks a lot for your answers!

David, your second solution work in the same way if i use Worker objects? For instance, i want the Worker to move always to the InputNode of each Server. Don´t i need to use a Seize Step in each Server to this?