Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum

Welcome to the Simio Forum! Experience the full experience of the forum by becoming a Simio Insider! You must be an Insider to post on any forum!

Click_Here_button.png

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a passenger screening checkpoint at the airport. As a starting point, I have passengers arriving with bags. The approach I took is one source for passenger entities and one source for bags entities. I used a combiner to join a passenger to a bag. I had each of the sources read the same rate table so that a passenger and a bag would arrive at the same time. My questions are as follows:

1. Is the combiner a good way to do this? Is there a better way to do this?

2. When I run my model, I see that my passengers and bags are not arriving at the same rate, even though I gave a rate table where I have a value for each 15 minute interval.

3. Right now, I have one bag per passenger. How would I get some passengers to have 1 bag, others to have 2, 3? I assume I would have to use some tables and disributions and read that in.

Are there any good SimBits that describe what I need to do? I found some information, but really not able to address my second question.

Thanks for any input. This forum has been most useful!

Maryam

Our AirportTerminal example does something similar with passengers and bags. A Source initially creates the passenger and then before sending the passenger through the airport, it goes through a process (Source1_CreatedEntity) where it creates a 'bag' entity and uses the Batch step (and BatchLogic element) to batch the two together - this way they are 'created' at the same time. I've put together a very small example that is similar, but also uses a Decide step to possibly create another bag (50% of the time, another bag will be generated and batch to the passenger entity as a second bag). Please see attached model, developed with our latest Simio sprint 88.

BatchingExample.spfx

Thanks Christine.

I did take a look at Simio's airport example; however, I thought it looked strange that all of a sudden bags showed up at the screening checkpoint. I wanted to be able to show the passengers and bags walking into the stanchions to get to the screening lines (which I am able to do), but my problem is my passengers and bags are not arriving at the same rate to be batched together before entering the stanchions when I use combiner and a rate table. Why is this? I even changed my arrival rate to say one passenger (and one bag) arriving per second, but the passengers and bags are still not arriving at the same time. How can this be fixed? Or should I not be using combiner and use something else for this purpose?

I will try that Decide step in my process.

Thanks.

Maryam

Maryam -

I'm happy to take a look at your model. You can send the model (*.spfx) and Simio sprint number you are currently using to support@simio.com for technical support.