Simio Forum

Buffer capacities of the source and sink objects

Hello Everybody,

I am having challenges modeling the buffer capacities of the source and sink objects.

How do I set the buffer capacities of the source and sink objects to some finite values? How can I set the buffer capacities of the source and sink objects to zero (or some finite number) so as to allow blocking between the source and the server objects?

Actually, I am modeling a situation such that entities arriving from the source can be blocked (and lost) if the server's input buffer is finite and full and all servers are busy. I want to be able to keep record of the number and percentage of lost customers.

In short, how can I model a finite capacity queueing system with blocking occurring between the source and the server objects?

Thank you so much.

Nwonye Chukwunoso

You can set these parameters on nodes and servers. Look for the capacity parameters.

As for destroying entities, you could use an addon process to destroy excess entities. Attached is a screenshot or two that may help.

MySimioProject_-_Simio_Team_Edition_-_Registered_to_Anglo_American_2013-03-12_13-36-30.thumb.png.8f268d29e90679fd8aae7c5d027e7bdc.png

MySimioProject_-_Simio_Team_Edition_-_Registered_to_Anglo_American_2013-03-12_13-38-26.thumb.png.e92989cfb71541429b53d6b2e715b3ca.png

Hello Jdoran,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Looking at the properties of the source object, I could not see the any button to model the buffer capacity of the source object just as we have in server object.

Please do me a favour by sending me an example model on how I can model the buffer capacity of the source object.

Thank you.

Nwonye C.

You can set the capacity on any node, or server. There is no buffer on the actual source. You would need to set it on the output node.

In my example, I placed a node between the source and server, purely so we could see the backlog, as the entities will queue along the path.

Keep in mind that the capacity refers to the instantaneous capacity of the node, not the maximum allowed through.

If you set it to 1, it would only allow a single entity to pass through at a time. This means that a batch of 20entities will still make it through the node in hardly any time at all, but will only pass through one at a time.

I am not sure what version of Simio you are running, so it is likely that you won't be able to open my model (restrictions between commercial and academic versions).

2013-03-13_08-16-45.thumb.png.d738e92cf0b574415b054fd44bf1a8a8.png

2013-03-13_08-22-03.png.9051c1bdbd30f0cd0726e83f3067ca66.png

ChangingBuffer.spfx