Simio
  • Sequence table modification ?

• General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
    To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
 #8116  by Sereghon
 Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 am
Hello Simio-Community,

i have a problem with my simulation about a canteen.
Is it possible to create a sequence table without following a whole strict flow?
The usual way would be that the entities go:
Input@ServiceStation -> Input@CashPoint -> Input@Table -> Input@Sink

What I want is a modification when it comes to the tables.
The Input before and after the tables is strict and works fine, but after the CashPoint I would like to put in some kind of random function like Input@Random(Table_1-Table_24), so that the entities decision is kinda free.
Input@ServiceStation -> Input@CashPoint -> Input@Random(Table_1-Table_24) -> Input@Sink
Is this understandable?

It would be also interesting if I could implement a check function for the entities if the table is free of capacity, so that they won't go for a already full table.

It's the 1st time I'm working with this tool and it's just for 1 semester and i've gathered all knowledge by myself, without any mentionable help by professor. :-/ I've watched a lot of videos about simio and also read in the simio reference guide, but at this point I really need the help of you.

Sereghon
 #8117  by gocken
 Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:26 pm
I do not know how this could be done via tables (somehow there is a way to do this via tables but...) but if I were you I should try to create a list named i.e., "RandomList" and populate it with "input@Table_1" and "input@Table_24" (and possibly the others). Then, select "output@CashPoint" (I assume that CashPoint is a Server object but still it is not important!) then set the "entity destination type" to "Select From List", set the "Node List Name" as "RandomList" and set "Selection Goal" property to "Random". The last property to be set is "Selection Condition". Then, to realize our last mission enter "CashPoint.Capacity.remaining>0" expression to the "Selection Condition" property as an expression to be checked.
Note: I wonder whether simio will release any entity whenever "CashPoint.Capacity.remaining>0" is not valid (i.e., returns false) for all the possibles nodes placed in the list created. Perhaps you would like to share the answer here as a feedback.
 #8118  by Sereghon
 Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 pm
Thx so far. Will try it out and keep you updated.
I've should have mentioned that my flow is managed with servers:
Input@ServiceStation (Server) -> Input@CashPoint (Server) -> Input@Table (Server) -> Input@Sink

I'm still figuring out, what your answer exactly means. It was my bad to mention the word "table" since I'm from Germany my first intention, when writing about tables(same translation), was the object where the people sit around and eat and not the "chart".
I don't know if this was clear for you aswell, maybe your answer would be different? :wink:
 #8119  by gocken
 Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 pm
ok, I see... Using the same words (i.e., "sequence tables") for different purposes was a nice coincidence then :). But, Simio enables you to define "sequence tables" (see "Data" tab for "sequence tables") to define some predetermined sequence of objects to dispatch entities throughout the model. You should look for "sequence tables" among the simbits, as well... "Tables" will work for your purposes (at least to a degree) but you should use "lists" approach (which I told in my previous post) for randomly selecting among the candidate nodes. Using "lists" (see "definitions" tab for "lists" and you should look around some simbits about "lists" for just a quick overview and to gain a better understanding of what they are really for) enables you to consider some conditions, as well.
In summary, the best approach should be to hybridize "sequence tables" and "lists" approaches... As far as I understood you are new to simio then you should ignore "sequence tables" for now but must include list approach to be able to model your problem appropriately...
 #8122  by Sereghon
 Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:21 pm
So far its working with a list, thx a lot.
The only problem is, that my entities go sometimes to the specific table and leave it to go to another table even if the first one was free.
That is kinda weird : / and I have no explanation for this attitude.

Meanwhile I've encountered another problem.
Is there a possibility to import a rate table?
Right now I'm using the "Standard" rate table and access it in my source via Arrival Mode Time Varying Arrival Rate and than the name of my rate table. So far understandable?

But I would like to import my rate table data via Database. But there is no option in the tab "Data" -> "Rate Tables".
So how can I manage to import a rate table with the exact structure like the original rate table?
( Starting Offset | Ending Offset | Rate (events per hour) )
My data research is already finished, but I have no clue how to manage this structure problem.
I'm thankful for every help you can send :)
 #8123  by gocken
 Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm
First:
Sereghon wrote:The only problem is, that my entities go sometimes to the specific table and leave it to go to another table even if the first one was free.
That is kinda weird : / and I have no explanation for this attitude.
I think the reason for this attitude is your setting the node's "Selection Goal" property to "Random". "Random" means that the entity randomly selects the next table to go, i.e., without any criteria. If you want to consider any selection criteria you should try other options for "Selection Goal". For example, setting "Smallest Value" for "Selection Goal" Property and then entering "Candidate.Node.AssociatedStationOverload" expression for "Selection Expression" hinders that weird behavior (i.e., this time modelentity looks for the minimum loaded table among the nodelist). Again, you should try other options together with different expression for different purposes.

Second:
Sereghon wrote:But I would like to import my rate table data via Database. But there is no option in the tab "Data" -> "Rate Tables".
So how can I manage to import a rate table with the exact structure like the original rate table?
You should use tables because you want to use external data (there are some other ways for using external data directly but being a new user I suggest you to use simio's standart features for now...) I suggest you to examine "AppointmentArrivals" simbit to understand how you can create arrivals by using tables. In that simbit the arrivals to the system are created by using a table. You can use the same approach. However, you also have to bind your table to a database such as excel. You should also examine "Import Export Tables" simbit to learn how to import data from a .csv file into a data table in Simio.
 #8124  by Sereghon
 Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:02 am
You should use tables because you want to use external data (there are some other ways for using external data directly but being a new user I suggest you to use simio's standart features for now...) I suggest you to examine "AppointmentArrivals" simbit to understand how you can create arrivals by using tables. In that simbit the arrivals to the system are created by using a table. You can use the same approach. However, you also have to bind your table to a database such as excel. You should also examine "Import Export Tables" simbit to learn how to import data from a .csv file into a data table in Simio.
I updated my data table like I was told by Simbit "AppointmentArrivals" but I don't understand how I can edit it so that I can bound a specific number of arrivals to this time.
At the moment it works like that, that to this specific time exactly 1 entity is created. And that's by far nothing like it should look like.

I've already imported data from a database, so I think this is clear for me.
 #8126  by gocken
 Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:41 pm
As I understand you are asking for multiple arrivals at a specific time. I can not attach a sample model under simio public forum. In order to attach a sample model for a better understanding of what u should do I created a new topic under "SI Help Getting Started" forum and give the link for subject (link: http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2506). You should look at data tab and source object's "entities per arrival" property. These inclusions will enable you to create multiple entities at specific times.
 #8127  by Sereghon
 Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:28 pm
Sadly I can't open it since you've simulated it with the newest version of simio.
I'm forced to use v8 since my university has only this version installed. The same problem is at my own desktop with university key license.
Could you model it in Simio v8?