Crane Library - Bridge and Underhung bridge cranes

Do you have objects, models, libraries, path decorators, textures, symbols, custom API code, documentation, or anything else others might find useful? Please attach it here with a brief description.
gtwirth
Simio Team Member

Re: Crane Library

Post by gtwirth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 am

Attached is V5 of the Crane Library. This version was developed in Simio 6.97.

The new features in this version are:

- Cranes now have a home node and an initial node. This enables the crane to be positioned at a different location at the start of the simulation run than the location where it resides when the crane is idle.
- Cranes now have a home bridge that is different from the associated bridge. The associated bridge is used with the crane is initialized. The home bridge is the bridge where the crane resides when the crane is idle.
- The Math.EPSILON delay is no longer needed for the first entity arrival.
- Additional bay symbol. By default, the bay uses a symbol that is opaque (grey). If symbol index 1 is used (e.g. Current Symbol Index = 1 on the bay), the bay is transparent. The transparent bay is helpful if you wish to see schematics placed on the floor of the model.

Additional, the following Simio V6 features has enhance our ability to model cranes.

- You are able to turn off the Entity Instances at runtime. This is an option under the “Visibility” tab. With this option turned-off, the entity instances (including transporters) used to configure the model during design time, will not be shown when the model is run.
- Entities now have a property for “Dynamic Label Text” under the “Animation” property group. This property enables a string expression to be added to any entity that will be shown during runtime. In the example, we are showing the current entity riding on the crane. The expression is “Math.If (Crane.RideStation.Contents.NumberWaiting > 0, Crane.RideStation.Contents.LastItem.ModelEntity.Name, "Nothing")”
CraneLibraryV5.png
CraneLibraryV5.png (144.78 KiB) Viewed 11523 times
Note the following file is obsolete and has been updated in later posts below. (7/24/14)
Glen Wirth
Simio LLC

qvheerden

Re: Crane Library - Bridge and Underhung bridge cranes

Post by qvheerden » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 am

Hi Glen,

We have been using the Crane Library of early 2013 in our model and it worked fine until all of a sudden we received this message:
Requesting seize of resource(s) in behalf of owner 'Crane7[1]'.
Object 'Crane7[1]' seized '1' capacity unit(s) of resource 'Crane6[1]'.

Issue 1: Crane 6 then also stalled and did not transport any entities for the remainder of the simulation.

We tried the Cranes V5 library and now we get the following issues too:

Issue 2: Home node property was not specified. This seems to be an issue before run time. All the Cranes' home nodes are specified in the model. See screenshot.
Crane_HomeNode.JPG
Crane_HomeNode.JPG (29.54 KiB) Viewed 11224 times
Issue 3: Inside the Crane process "MoveCraneToNode", the "OwnsCrossAisleZone" step throws an error as per the 2nd screenshot.
Crane_OwnsCrossAisle.JPG
Crane_OwnsCrossAisle.JPG (29.43 KiB) Viewed 11224 times
We didn't have these issues in the older library. Do you have any idea what could be causing any of these 3 errors?

Regards,
Quintin

robinwstebbins

Post by robinwstebbins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:30 pm

I created a new simple model with a single crane bay and get the same issue 3 error message about exceeding the value for the OwnsCrossAisleZone in the V5 library, but building the model in V4 does work. V5 seems to have some cool new features, so any help in getting it to work would be great. I ran the test models in Simio Team version 6.102.11054.

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm

We are looking at this problem and will report back as soon as we find the problem.
In the mean time, if you have any real or small sample models that illustrate the problem, please post or email to me.
Thanks.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

ncollins
Simio Team Member

Crane Library V6

Post by ncollins » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 am

Attached is an updated Crane Library that addresses the recently reported issue with the single crane bay. This library is for use with Simio 6.106. Please let us know if you find any additional issues with this library.
Norene Collins
Simio LLC

Michal

Post by Michal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi All,

I am testing the new crane library (V6) in a small model with 1 bay and 3 bridges with cranes in it. See the model attached.

It works well for a short while but then it gets stuck because of a deadlock.

is there an easy way to resolve the deadlock in this model?

Thanks for help
Michal
Attachments
Test3CranesIn1Bay.spfx
(341.73 KiB) Downloaded 385 times

gtwirth
Simio Team Member

Post by gtwirth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:32 am

Based on a number of issues reported to the Crane library, we are providing this update - (Simio v 6.106 or higher needed)

The fixes include:

1 - Added a fix to the push idle bridge logic. There were cases when the idle bridge could be moved where the logic was saying it could not. This fix removed a number of deadlock issues.
2 - Add re-plan of all cranes within a bay after each crane is unloaded. This change will improve the crane selection logic to reevaluated after each crane has completed a move. Since the selection logic is being reevaluate more often, the cranes should be better utilized.
3 - Exposed "Initial Number In System" properties on the bridge and crane objects. With is property exposed, it is possibly to disable bridges and cranes by setting this property = 0.
CraneLibraryV6.106.zip
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 460 times
Glen Wirth
Simio LLC

gtwirth
Simio Team Member

Post by gtwirth » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 am

Hi...Just upgraded to Simio Version 7.128...No new functionality...It is just the latest library with the latest release.
Attachments
CraneLibraryV7.128.zip
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 269 times
Glen Wirth
Simio LLC

gtwirth
Simio Team Member

Post by gtwirth » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Updated Crane Library and Crane Library Example to Simio 8.

Added fire of Bay.ZoneStatusChanged event in Crane.OnEnteredFreeSpace process. Used to relieve deadlock condition.

2015-12-17 - Fixed spelling of "Assoicated Bay" category name on the Bay object. Also, updated example and documentation.
Attachments
CraneLibraryV8.zip
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
Glen Wirth
Simio LLC

GSanchez

Post by GSanchez » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi, I am working in a model with 2 cranes in 1 bay, and they normaly work each on one half of the bay (left and right) but sometimes the crane that works on the left has to go all the way to the right of the bay, and also the other way, the crane that normally works on the right side of the bay has to go all the way to the left side.

My first problem was that the right side crane wouldnt let the other one into her "territory" until all stars aligned, even if it was not busy, so i added logic to solve this problem and every thing is working well. But, it comes a time when I get a "Destination undefined." warning even when it has a valid node to go to, proven by many other entities that passed and moved the crane to that node.

And, all this explanations fail to be of use after all, because when I changed a little thing to the cranes (the idle action up position to false) I had the same warning in another completely different node that had nothing to do with the first problem.
We traced the activities of the crane and came up with a coincidence, the crane and the lift cancel their up movement for some reason, and this happens every time we get the warning.
Are we doing something wrong? Can you help us?

We would really appreciate it :D :wink:
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2016-06-01 13.24.38.png
warning
Captura de pantalla 2016-06-01 13.24.38.png (480.09 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
Captura de pantalla 2016-06-01 13.24.02.png
cancelled movement
Captura de pantalla 2016-06-01 13.24.02.png (584.33 KiB) Viewed 6993 times

kiminga

Post by kiminga » Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 am

Is the Crane Library v8 from 2015 the latest version of the crane library?

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Mon May 29, 2017 11:51 am

Yes, I believe it is.

If you do not need the "underhung" ability to move cranes from one bridge to another, then I suggest that you instead use the Cranes object in the Extras library. This newer library is simpler, has a few more features, and is more robustly tested.
http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2478
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

kiminga

Post by kiminga » Wed May 31, 2017 11:42 am

Can the Cranes object in the Extras library be sub-classed in the same manner as the Bridge and Underhung cranes? I am running into issues with 3-crane deadlocks in the Cranes object which is why I was looking for something else which could be sub-classed and modified.

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am

Can the Cranes object in the Extras library be sub-classed in the same manner as the Bridge and Underhung cranes? I am running into issues with 3-crane deadlocks in the Cranes object which is why I was looking for something else which could be sub-classed and modified.
Yes they can. But perhaps you won't need to -- the Cranes in the Extras library do a much better job avoiding deadlocks.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

kiminga

Post by kiminga » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 am

The documentation for the crane library states that the cranes can have their traversal direction set to either left and right or forward and backward. I wish to use a combination of both in a single model but cannot seem to find the traversal direction. Can you assist?