Simio
  • Set a workstation for batch processing

• General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
    To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
 #2269  by CSteinlicht
 Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 pm
I am trying to change the properties of a workstation for batch processing. So that I set a reference property for batch size in the experiment. Thus I would be able to keep batch size as 1 in one scenario and any bigger number to see what happens if we process in batches. I just set the processing batch as referenced property but i think it didnt help. I want the workstation only when the required batch arrives. Please provide you suggestions.
 #2273  by DanSpice
 Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:17 am
I think you are incorrectly interpretting the Processing Batch Size property in the Workstation. This property works in conjunction with the Operation Quantity to determine how many batches are represented by one entity. Not how many entities are needed to create a batch.

The Operation Quantity property dictates how many total "things" are represented by the entity. And the Processing Batch Size property dictates how many of those "things" get operated on at one time, and the same entity will repeat Processing until all of the groups are used up.

Say your workstation had the Operation Quantity set to 60 (meaning your entity represented a container carrying 60 units) and your Processing Batch Quantity is set to 20 (meaning it will take groups of 20 to do one processing batch), your Entity will be delayed for 3 rounds of processing to represent the 3 batches of 20.

Now, if you want to group multiple entities together to make a batch you can always use a Combiner and vary the Batch Quantity Property - but this always needs to have at least 2 entities in a batch - 1 Parent and at least 1 member.

If you need to have a batch of 1, and possibly vary the number of other entities you want to have in the input buffer before processing them as a group, there was a discussion on this a few weeks ago that should be of help: http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 2018#p2018

Hope this helps clarify some concepts for you!
 #2314  by CSteinlicht
 Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 pm
I went through the link you provided. That helped, thanks. The solution that Joaquim provided is really good. I am trying to design a similar process where I could just hold the incoming entities till I get a certain number of entities and then process them one by one. Unlike mine, in the model that Joaquim provided all the entities hold are released as one. I havent got any reply in that discussion. Could you please help.