Simio
  • Different entities, same server, different sinks

• General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
    To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
 #8018  by MichelD
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 am
Hey there,

I tried this for several hours now and I just don't seem to be able to get it to work, so I thought I might just ask here because I have a feeling the solution is simple...

The Problem is that I have 2 sources, 2 sinks and a single server. Both sources have different entities which are being processed by the same server. After being processed by the server, Entity 1 should go to Sink 2 and Entity 2 to Sink 1 without exception. I got it to work with setting networks for the entities. However, when I want those entities to ride on a transporter they start to choose a sink randomly. Here is my main idea of it (I know that this won't work like this with transporters, I just wanted to visualize my general idea in case you didn't understand what i meant)

A transporter should now bring Entities from Source1/Source2 to the Server and DIFFERENT transporters should bring the processed entities from Server1 to Sink1/Sink2. As I already mentioned, I know the model above doesn't work with transporters for several reasons, but my main model I tried to implement my idea with just got so confusing I thought I'd just show a simplyfied image of my intentions

thanks in advance! :)
 #8019  by CWatson
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 am
One option (simplest likely) would be to have the Selection Weight on each of the paths to the Sinks reflect the entity type you'd like to move there. For example, for the path from Server1 - Sink1, have the selection weight be "Is.ModelEntity1" and the selection weight for the path from Server1 - Sink2 be "Is.DefaultEntity" (or vice versa, depending where you wish those entities to go).

Alternatively, you could have a Decide step and two SetNode steps within an Add-On process in the Server1. The Decide step would simply check the entity type (Entity.Is.ModelEntity1) and then the two SetNode steps would set the appropriate node destination for the Input@Sink1 or Input@Sink2. Therefore, when the output node at Server1 says to 'Continue' as the entity destination, the entity has a destination node already set in the SetNode steps.
 #8021  by MichelD
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:29 pm
Thanks! Yes, the first solution was really simple and worked for entities not riding on a transporter, however, riding on transporters doesn't work with this solutin neither. If I let entities ride on a transporter from Server1 to Sink1/2, it again chooses the Sink randomly, even if I set the Selection Weight to "Is.ModelEntity1" and "IsDefaultEntity". I didn't try the 2nd solution just yet, but I feel like this will be the same outcome.
 #8022  by CWatson
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:17 pm
Good observation, yes, what is actually riding on the path is the transporter (vehicle) and not the entity - therefore, the first option works with entities on the path, but not when being moved by a vehicle. The second method (Decide / SetNode) will work with the vehicles, as it sets the entity's node destination.
 #8025  by MichelD
 Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am
CWatson wrote:Good observation, yes, what is actually riding on the path is the transporter (vehicle) and not the entity - therefore, the first option works with entities on the path, but not when being moved by a vehicle. The second method (Decide / SetNode) will work with the vehicles, as it sets the entity's node destination.
I see, alright, thanks! I have access to Simio on Friday again and will test it out then :)