Simio
  • Flow Library PickUpDropOffFlow SimBit Transfer Problem

• General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
    To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
 #4239  by Kingsburgh
 Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:52 am
Hi All

The PickUpDropOffFlow Simbit shows users how to model a entity such as a ship transferring flow from Tank1 to Tank2 and then moving onto a sink.

I would like the flow in Tank2 to flow through a series of connectors to another tank and/or sink. If I connect a flow connector from the Output@Tank2 to a tank or sink, the entity originally in Tank2 does NOT flow out. It seems to get stuck in a queue. I have gone through all the add on process logic and checked the status of Output@Tank2.FlowRegulator.Enabled property.

Please advise on how to get the entity flowing again.

Regards
Martin Kingsburgh
 #4278  by MEagar
 Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 am
It wont...You need to model your tanks as separate objects and use transfers between them. A tip...You also need to set the LowLevel to be some small value and you HAVE to remove the entity in the output flow q, when your tank in the middle hits empty...This is needed if your input rate is larger than your output rate...

I have a model small model if you have an email address....
 #4282  by ASagan
 Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm
You can get get the flow going again by clearing the destination of the entity.

I would attach a revised version of the sim bit but files cannot be attached in public forums. Regardless, only ONE extra step is needed. Add a Set Node step to the beginning of Empty Ship process. Use this node to clear the destination. The properties of this step are:
  • Advanced Options/Entity Type: SpecificObject
  • Advanced Options/Entity Object: ModelEntity.Container1.Contents.FirstItem.ModelEntity
For your information, these options were copied from the transfer step in the same process.

When the entity is in tank 1, it has a destination node of Output@Tank1 -- which it never really gets going through. This destination gets carried along with the entity. When the entity arrives at a sink input node, the destination is different. Therefore, the 'onEnteredToAssociatedObject' process which will send the entity in to the sink is not called. If we clear the destination with the extra step as described above, then the entity will enter the sink.
 #4283  by MEagar
 Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:43 pm
Alan, please hit me up on skype...

I would like to understand this a little better....Pulled my hair out when fluctuating rates as well as reversing them...Clearly they have change the internals of the nodes....
 #4284  by CWatson
 Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am
Future Flow Library enhancements to add new filler / emptier / container entity objects, should render this kind of modeling approach probably somewhat obsolete. We are hoping to have some better solutions coming down the road later this year.