Transporting workers and vehicles through elevators

General Simio discussions. THIS IS *NOT* A GOOD PLACE FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS.
To limit spam this and all Public Forums have very limited ability to attach files. We recommend that support issues and more technical topics be initiated inside one of the Simio Insider (SI) forums below where you can attach your model and see example solutions. See above Welcome forum to join Simio Insiders.
AvinashPatel

Transporting workers and vehicles through elevators

Post by AvinashPatel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:51 am

Hi,

I am trying to make a 3D model of a hospital. I want workers and carts (which are of vehicle type) carrying the entity to move between different floors using elevator.
The problem is that I have an elevator which itself is made using a vehicle object (taken from Sample Simbit Solutions) and it is transferring only the entity to other floor and the worker/cart stays there only (the reason which I think is that a vehicle object cannot transport another vehicle object).
What can be possible solutions for this?

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Re: Transporting workers and vehicles through elevators

Post by dsturrock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

I would suggest using the elevator objects from the Extra Library: http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2478
I have a file that shows how a worker can use a wheelchair to transport a patient, but I can only attach it within Simio Insiders, not in the public area where this was posted.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:53 pm

You're in luck. The model I mentioned above is already posted here: http://www.simio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2334
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks Dave. Assigning an operator to a vehicle is a new technique I learned.
Using the elevator object form Extra Library referenced, I am able to transfer cart/workers along with the entity to different floors.

Question regarding elevator object in Extra Library viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2478 : The destination of the elevator is set by the elevator node, but in multistory case what if two entities come to an elevator node and one wants to go to level 2 , other to level 3? I dont think this elevator object is that general to handle this.

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 am

It should work fine for that. Each entity can set his own destination and the elevator will carry him to the correct floor.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks.
It is working fine. I had made connection error in some other place.

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 pm

There is another PROBLEM when I try to move entities using workers/vehicles.
(AIM: Workers carrying entities are moving in between different levels in a building, After delivering one entity workers which are free need to go to sources on different levels to pick another entity on demand).
If I choose sequence at elevator node, then it gives error - Worker does not have any destination sequence and error in finding first and last node for elevator. Since I want worker to move around whenever demand is raised I cannot assign it a fix sequence.
I cannot choose a specific destination for elevator nodes as entities with destination of different floors are coming.
I tried by detecting which entity is coming to the elevator node and accordingly changing it destination (destination - specific) but in this I donot know how to handle movement of free workers without entity (on demand).
When I chose continue at elevator nodes workers were going to the destination (assigned to the entities) to drop the carried entities, after reaching an elevator node worker is directly transferred to destination, does not move on path. Same thing happens when worker is moving without entity, from the elevator node to destination it is directly transferred with out movement on path.
Please help me with this.

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:03 am

When I chose continue at elevator nodes workers were going to the destination (assigned to the entities) to drop the carried entities, after reaching an elevator node worker is directly transferred to destination, does not move on path. Same thing happens when worker is moving without entity, from the elevator node to destination it is directly transferred with out movement on path.
To force entities to follow the path instead of traveling through free space change the Initial Travel Model on the entity to Network Only.
You might also want to use the SetNode step in process logic to set the entity's destination.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 am

The vehicle is not moving in free space. I have already selected 'Network Only' at all nodes.
If I set destination as one of the elevator nodes, it works fine.
But if I set destination of entity as one of the sink (not elevator node of that level) , the vehicle (carrying entity or not carrying entity both case) after reaching the desired elevator node, does not appear to come out of it, it is directly transferred to destination node (some sink or other) without any motion.
I have set the required destination of entity (sink at another floor). I am not setting the destination of vehicle, as I want it to work on demand, I think it should automatically take the destination of whichever entity it is carrying/is allocated to carry.

dsturrock
Simio Team Member

Post by dsturrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 am

I think you will need to attach the simplest model that exhibits this behavior or send it to support.
Dave Sturrock
VP Operations, Simio LLC

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 am

Here is an example model (Google Drive link)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw5l6A ... sp=sharing

It contains the problem that I am facing and discussing above. How can it be solved?

AvinashPatel

Post by AvinashPatel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi,
I think the problem is that the elevator reads the destination of the riding entities and tries to transport it to that destination. So if have set the destination of the entity as some sink/server node (not one of the elevatornodes associated with that elevator) then once the elevator reaches at "height" of the "destination" it just "drop off" the entitites directly.
Elevator detects that it has reached its destination by comparing "y" location of it with the destination's. So as soon as the elevator reaches that height, it just drops off and the entities directly appear at the destination node. It works perfectly fine when we assign destination node as one of the elevator node (Animation in this case makes sense).
I think if elevator can find out the "nearest elevatornode" to the destination of entity and set the elevator destination to this elevator node (not the destination of entity), then it will work fine.
I tried to do this, but some problem is coming in implementation using the "existing" common steps in process blocks.

Can anyone help me with this?